Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Big Thump

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    What a difference a suffix makes.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I know where you're comin' from....

    If my dad had bought me more speakers and equipment when I was young I probably wouldn't have turned out this way.

    Well, maybe.....

    forums

    Did I mention that a guy at work has a 100W Marshall half stack for sale ?

    I think I gotta have one of those.

    NOT that I NEED it, or that it's practical, or that it's way, way overkill for the neighborhood....... but just cuz' I think it
    would be really cool to have.

    My wife just doesn't understand........

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ya, mine just smiles and heads off to the shoe store.

    <font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="1">[ September 15, 2008 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Cal Weldon ]</font></font>

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ September 15, 2008 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Cal Weldon ]</font>

  4. #14
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So what's the most cost-effective sub to buy or build ? Those Servodrive cabinets are kinda expensive and I read some comments on ProSound web that are not exactly kind to them. Could be just one man's opinion......

    The 12Pi cabinets look very, very interesting, but some of these at Bill Fitzmaurice's site look like they have merit too.

    http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

  5. #15
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, those Cerwin Vega Earthquakes sometimes come up on Ebay used.
    Those thump pretty good.
    Sometime when those old theaters close up you can find them for a good price.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Starting at $900 ?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Cerwin-Vega-Eart...d=p3286.c0.m14

    Buy it now for $1200 ??

    That's pretty beat up for 12 hundred bucks IMO.

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Big Thump


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    I suspect you will find the CV has a big 60-80 Hz bump.

    I don't consider CV as top level gear, their major market is DJ's.

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, these sounded awful to me. Not surprising since they were designed based on a four stack and with a large flared mouth extender if in a row.

    The drivers are impressive, but only worth maybe $200/ea. used based on JBL 2240 'clone' pricing last time I checked, so $800 for the cabs is hardly a bargain.

    GM

  9. #19
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey OG and GM:

    What do you guys think of Bill Fitzmaurice's cabinets ? What about the 12pi ?

    How would they compare ?

  10. #20
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What I really mean to ask, is if you had to pick just one, which would it be ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.